Celebrating finalist products in the ELTons Innovation Awards 2020
We are thrilled that several Macmillan Education ELT products were selected as finalists –and even a winner– in three different categories the prestigious British Council ELTons Awards.
The ELTons are global awards organised by the British Council that celebrate the most original courses, publications, projects, apps and platforms, and more, which are finding new ways to help English language learners and teachers around the world achieve their goals.
In 2020, Macmillan Education products were nominated in three of the five Innovation categories: Excellence in Course Innovation (Big Wheel and Global Stage), Digital Innovation (Navio) and Local Innovation (The Garden Project – Brazilian Edition).
Big Wheel – ELT series for Pre-Primary
Nominated for: Excellence in Course Innovation
They think they’re playing. We know they’re learning…
The Wheels series is an innovative course designed to give teachers all the tools they need to successfully manage groups of energetic pre-primary learners. With engaging stories and the optimum level of support, teaching becomes both effective and enjoyable.
- A unique Hop on & Hop off approach allows teachers to follow the unit sequence in the order they choose.
- Engaging animated stories and videos featuring the adorable Meerkat family help to prepare young learners for primary education and promote life skills and values such as ‘sharing’ or ‘helping others’.
- Tap & Teach lessons in the Teacher’s App powered by Navio allows teachers to deliver clearly sequenced lessons requiring minimum preparation.
- Learning routines, a bank of teaching ideas and activity suggestions support teachers.
- Games and rewards in the Student App motivate pupils to learn English inside and outside the classroom.
Navio – Digital Solution for various Macmillan Pre-Primary and Primary ELT series
Nominated for: Excellence in Digital Innovation
Navio is a next-generation digital platform that provides an enriched teaching and learning experience.
Gamified language practice in immersive 3D worlds encourages students to repeat activities, creating opportunities for better language acquisition.
- Tap & Teach lessons with integrated audio, video and interactive activities help teachers deliver stimulating classes.
- Automatic grading provides learners with instant feedback, saves time marking homework and allows teachers to easily monitor students’ progress.
- Strong school-home link so learning continues outside of the classroom.
- Flashcards and Test Generator and many more resources are all available in one place, at the click of a button.
- Navio accompanies several of our courses for young learners:
– Big Wheel
– New Tiger
– New High Five!
– Kids Can! (Coming soon!)
The Garden Project (Brazil Edition) – ELT series for Young Learners
WINNER: Excellence in Local Innovation
The Garden Project – Brazilian Edition | Angelica Manca, Hoopla Education Pte. Ltd. With Macmillan Do Brasil Editora, Comercializadora, and Importadora E Distribudora (Singapore /Brazil)
The Garden Project is the first pre-primary program to combine Project Based Learning (PBL) to the multidisciplinary STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths) framework, in an innovative and holistic English Language Learning program. This nature-inspired curriculum is based on the principles of sustainability and applies real-world ways for students to develop problem-solving and communication skills within a Brazilian context. Students are provided with rich opportunities to use English and extend their vocabulary while they explore nature within and outside of their classrooms, creating a sense of purpose and curiosity as they nurture and tend to their edible plants in their Garden in the Box.
Find out more about The Garden Project.
For more information on this year’s ELTons Awards, the other categories and winners, visit the official British Council ELTons page.
A huge congratulations to all of this year’s finalists and winners for their achievements in ELT innovation!