Great Aspirations, Great Learners, Great Thinkers!
Great Thinkers is a 7-level general English course by best-selling author David Spencer. Designed for teachers who want to teach more than just language, preparing students for exams and life outside the classroom.Â Â
- Ensures success with a tried and tested methodology combined with brand new content:
Powered by the successful â€˜Gateway formulaâ€™ and the expertise of Spain-based author Dave Spencer, Great Thinkers offers brand new content for todayâ€™s teenagers.
- Prepares great learners and great thinkers for life beyond the classroom:
The Great Learners, Great Thinkers section allows students to develop the emotional intelligence and critical thinking skills they will need for life.
- Motivates students with exposure to real-world content in every aspect of the course:
Students are immersed in culturally diverse, real-world content through Reading, Listening and Culture Exchange texts, while the Virtual Classroom Exchange provides students with a real need for meaningful communication.
- Teenagers have opportunities to explore and engage in passion-led learning:
Literature analysis in the Studentâ€™s Book, and STEAM content in the Workbook, encourage students to engage with a variety of enriching academic subject areas
- A variety of digital and print resources designed to meet your needs in different teaching contexts:
The Studentâ€™s App includes gamified activities to make language practice easy and enjoyable, and enables teachers to set assignments to complete by students on their favourite devices.
Ready for any scenario
The ways in which we teach and learn are continually evolving, making not just what we teach but how we teach more important than ever. In class, at home, or mixed modality, Macmillan can provide you with the 360Âº print, digital and service to meet your teaching needs.
Flexible learning solutions
Get the most out of your course with material that fits any teaching or learning scenario.
- Classic print books with teen-appropriate designs.
- Interactive Digital Pupilâ€™s Books and Digital Workbooks (all levels) providing a rich, customisable learning experience – compatible with your school platform.
- Graded Reader eBooks to encourage reading for pleasure with reading comprehension activities.
- Studentâ€™s AppÂ with extra gamified self-study practice to engage teens.
- Online-offline Teacherâ€™s App:
– Classroom Presentation Kit
– Gamified practice with homework setting function + automatic marking and tracking.
- Extra resources with Macmillan Advantage.
First rate technical support
- Digital welcome pack with quick-start online training + intuitive tutorial videos to get started with your new digital materials.
- Support for multiple operating systems and devices.
- Fast and friendly customer service via our free digital support phone-line with callback service + our FAQs website.
The Macmillan Promise
To help you teach confidently in any scenario, we provide ongoing professional development webinars, instructional videos and blogs on our website and via Macmillan Advantage.
- Online expert training in a wide range of teaching skills.
- Rapid access to customised digital solutions for remote teaching.
- Access to additional resources for use in class.
How Great ThinkersÂ helps you create an inclusive learning environment
We know each learner has different strengths and weaknesses, and learns best in different ways. In order to build on individual capabilities and help students to learn and teachers to create an inclusive learning environment, each of our courses provides a range of components and methodologies that help you to meet the needs of everyone in your classroom.
Great Thinkers ensures inclusion of all students in group work throughÂ whole class engagement activities,Â such as theÂ Great Learners, Great ThinkersÂ sections which are based on Social and Emotional Learning, Critical Thinking and documentary videos.
- Great Thinkers offersÂ differentiated materialsto ensure that students of all language levels receive the necessary level of challenge and support.
- Reach Higher pages in the Studentâ€™s Book provide additional challenge.
- TheÂ Studentâ€™s AppoffersÂ On-the-Go PracticeÂ which encourages autonomous practice and allows students to work at their own pace.
–Â DIFFERENTIATED MATERIALS
Differentiated materials or alternative tasks for activities where students will benefit from different levels of challenge and support.
- Flipped Classroom Videos give students the chance to â€˜pre-studyâ€™ the grammar for the following lesson, thus allowing them to study at their own pace.
- Reach Higher activities in the Studentâ€™s Book cater to more confident students who are more likely to finish activities in the core units earlier.
- AÂ star-rating system in the Workbook enables teachers to set suitable tasks according to the language level of their individual students.
- Grammar Savvy pages in the Workbook are specifically designed for the mixed-language-level class. The pages offer grammar practice atÂ two different levels of difficulty.
- On-the-Go Practice allows students to work autonomously to reinforce the content covered in class.
- Unit, mid- and end-of-year progressÂ testsÂ offer grammar, vocabulary and skills revision at two levels.
- Extra grammar practice worksheets provide grammar revision at two levels of difficulty.
- TheÂ Test Generator allows teachers toÂ custom-buildÂ their own tests according to their studentsâ€™ needs.
–Â WHOLE CLASS ENGAGEMENT
Solutions for ensuring all students are involved and engaged in group work and whole-class teaching.
- Collaborative projectsÂ offer the opportunity for students to work at their own pace within mixed-language-level groups.
- Documentary videos can be watched with the whole class and have aÂ subtitlesÂ option for students who need more support whilst viewing.
- Great Leaners, Great Thinkers pages move away from linguistic and comprehension skills practice to focus on elements such asÂ Social and Emotional Learning, andÂ creativityÂ andÂ critical thinking. This puts an emphasis onÂ non-linguistic knowledgeÂ and personalisation.
- Peer review, pair andÂ group workÂ tasks appear throughout the Studentâ€™s Book so students can work together inÂ mixed-language-level or same-level pairsÂ andÂ groups.
–Â TEACHER SUPPORT
Simple and practical tips and tools to allow teachers to manage the class with confidence.
- Mixed-ability teaching tipsÂ appear throughout the Teacherâ€™s notes in the Teacherâ€™s Book allowing teachers to easilyÂ adapt activitiesfor mixed-language-level classes.
- Professional development videos offer teachers helpful teaching tips, includingÂ suggestions and ideas for mixed-language-level classes.
- Extra activities in the Teacherâ€™s Book offer suggestions for how teachers canÂ extend Studentâ€™s Book activities or lower or increase the levelÂ of challenge.
- Fast finisher activities in the Teacherâ€™s Book provide extra tasks teachers can use to occupy fast-finishing students, while students who need more support complete the main activity.
- TheÂ Teacherâ€™s App allows teachers toÂ assign workÂ to students according to their needs andÂ monitor progress.
Want some additional practical tips and ideas on how to create an inclusive learning environment? Visit our Ãšnicos page, where a range of experts share their experience and offer practical advice.
COMPONENTS FOR TEACHERS
Download sample material from Great Thinkers and try it for yourself. Weâ€™re confident you will love what you find!
Have a look at a unit of Great Thinkers to see how it can improve your classes.
Additional resources to supplement your coursebook: videos, audio files, flashcards, worksheetsâ€¦ giving you endless options for adapting your classes to you and your studentsâ€™ needs.
A wealth of articles, videos, tips and practical classroom activities to give your classes that personal touch. Click below to see a sample of some of the tools you will have access to.
And much more…
Exclusive tools and resources to make the most of your classes and give you the support you need.