READERS FOR CHILDREN
Whether children are read to, supported as they practise reading or read independently, there are a range of intellectual and emotional benefits they can take away from this experience.
Reading improves concentration, increases fluency (both written and spoken) stimulates the imagination, broadens vocabulary, encourages critical thinking skills and promotes empathy.
We offer a range of fiction and non-fiction readers because we understand the importance of turning reading for pleasure into a life-long habit!
Talk About Texts
READING AGES: 4.5 – 9 • READING LEVELS: 1 – 30+
With its unique speaking oriented approach, Talk About Texts integrate the teaching of reading, vocabulary and oral language skills into one strong and effective program.
The Talk About Texts integrate a number of oral language instructional strategies to teach the four key elements of speech:
- Listening and responding
- Building vocabulary
- Fluent conversation
Using the following strategies, Vocabulary for Reading and Vocabulary for Talking are thoroughly taught and practised:
- Guided reading sessions
- Focused questions
- Answer frameworks
The series includes:
- 160 Student Books
- 160 Student eBooks
- 160 Teacher’s Editions corresponding to each Student Book
- Teacher Guide, including Digital Teacher Resources and Flashcards for each level.
Each Student Book is finely levelled to systematically build students’ reading skills, vocabulary and confidence.
The Talk About Texts Student Books include:
- Full coverage of many different text types
- Links to other subject areas of the Curriculum, such as Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, and The Arts.
- Post-reading activities that provide opportunities for students to develop personal responses to the text by thinking, talking and writing.
- Eye catching illustrations to help students’ understanding of the text.
eBook versions of the Student Books are available online for independent reading on a tablet or computer, as well as for shared reading on an interactive whiteboard. The additional use of audio develops fluency and expression during reading sessions.
Foundation, levels 1-8:
Year 1, levels 9-16
Year 2, levels 17-23
Year 3, levels 24-30+
The Teacher’s Edition and comprehensive Teacher Guide provide everything you need to get started with this interactive guided reading approach.
Teacher Guides are focused support resources, including curriculum charts, sample lesson plans, reading and speaking strategies:
- Each book comes with access to Digital Teacher Resources, including advice videos and classroom planning.
- Compact and easy to understand format to speed up lesson planning process.
- Flashcards containing Vocabulary for Talking and sentence structures to embed the target vocabulary.
- Practical assessment resources such as rubrics, tracking grids and student activity sheets.
Teacher’s Editions accompany each of the 160 Student Books, permitting access to teaching notes while leading the guided reading session. The format provides text related activities and highlights the most important words and concepts. These appear in the form of:
- Before reading activities
- Vocabulary for reading and talking
- High frequency words
- Speaking strategies
- Answer frameworks
- Speak and read sections
Macmillan Children Readers
A fun, cultural and informative series of readers.
Divided into six levels for children from six to twelve years old.
- Macmillan Children’s Readers reinforce the basic structures and vocabulary found in most Primary courses and make learning English a fun and informative experience.
- The blend of ‘Fact Files’ and topical fiction stories in levels three to six motivates the older children and appeals to boys and girls equally.
- A picture dictionary or wordlist and corresponding activity pages at the back of each reader provide a clear guide for learning key vocabulary.
The accompanying audio on our website give children a chance to listen to the stories while they read them.
Macmillan Science Readers
Reinforce the content of your Primary A Course and encourage Reading for knowledge with this series for Primary 1-6.
Macmillan English Explorers
An eight-level series suitable for children aged between 4 and 12. Developed specifically for children learning English, Macmillan English Explorers expose children to real language and develop their reading and vocabulary skills.
A six-level series of reading anthologies specially designed to foster a love of reading.
Every level includes:
Student’s Book – Teacher’s Edition – Audio CD
Carefully selected stories, poems, and non-fiction texts for each level with a strong cross curricular element encourage children explore topics such as history, geography, science, and the arts through the reading texts.
Key features of the collection include:
• A wide range of writing styles and genres
• Beautiful artwork and photographs
• Reading activity pages with comprehension activities and interpretation activities
• Fiction and non-fiction texts in audio format
• Teacher’s Edition with reading strategies, photocopiable materials and unit tests.
Here you will find a broad and diverse bank of resources related to your books as well as a wealth of articles, videos, tips and practical classroom activities updated monthly. You can also keep up to date on online and face to face Professional Development opportunities.
Log in here and start enjoying all materials.
Additional resources to supplement your books: audio files, teacher’s notes, worksheets… giving you endless options for adapting your classes to you and your students’ needs.
A wealth of regularly updated articles, videos, tips and practical classroom activities to give your classes that personal touch.
Exclusive access to online and face-to-face events, with the option to watch past webinars whenever you want, wherever you want.