PRIMARY • READING AGES: 4.5 – 9 • READING LEVELS: 1 – 30+
With its unique speaking oriented approach, Talk About Texts integrate the teaching of reading, vocabulary and oral language skills into one strong and effective program.
The Talk About Texts integrate a number of oral language instructional strategies to teach the four key elements of speech:
- Listening and responding
- Building vocabulary
- Fluent conversation
Using the following strategies, Vocabulary for Reading and Vocabulary for Talking are thoroughly taught and practised:
- Guided reading sessions
- Focused questions
- Answer frameworks
The series includes:
- 160 Teacher’s Editions corresponding to each Student Book
- Teacher Guide, including Digital Teacher Resources and Flashcards for each level.
Each Student Book is finely levelled to systematically build students’ reading skills, vocabulary and confidence.
The Talk About Texts Student Books include:
- Full coverage of many different text types
- Links to other subject areas of the Curriculum, such as Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, and The Arts.
- Post-reading activities that provide opportunities for students to develop personal responses to the text by thinking, talking and writing.
- Eye catching illustrations to help students’ understanding of the text.
eBook versions of the Student Books are available online for independent reading on a tablet or computer, as well as for shared reading on an interactive whiteboard. The additional use of audio develops fluency and expression during reading sessions.
Foundation, levels 1-8:
Year 1, levels 9-16
Year 2, levels 17-23
Year 3, levels 24-30+
The Teacher’s Edition and comprehensive Teacher Guide provide everything you need to get started with this interactive guided reading approach.
Teacher Guides are focused support resources, including curriculum charts, sample lesson plans, reading and speaking strategies:
- Each book comes with access to Digital Teacher Resources, including advice videos and classroom planning.
- Compact and easy to understand format to speed up lesson planning process.
- Flashcards containing Vocabulary for Talking and sentence structures to embed the target vocabulary.
- Practical assessment resources such as rubrics, tracking grids and student activity sheets.
Teacher’s Editions accompany each of the 160 Student Books, permitting access to teaching notes while leading the guided reading session. The format provides text related activities and highlights the most important words and concepts. These appear in the form of:
- Before reading activities
- Vocabulary for reading and talking
- High frequency words
- Speaking strategies
- Answer frameworks
- Speak and read sections