Giving teenagers global skills to Influence the future.
Your InfluenceÂ is a CEFR-mapped British English course that gives you the flexibility to choose the right level for your class, designed to facilitate the process of planning and delivering lessons that keep students on task with engaging, age-relevant materials.
Equips students for the future
Students develop a firm foundation in both linguistic and Super Skills: Critical thinking, Creativity, Communication and Collaboration
Develops real-world competence
A unique 3-fold approach to developing and evaluating real world competences through:
– authentic language and tasks
– a focus on real-life issues
– motivating teen-tested videos.
Makes collaborative work simple
– WDYT (What do you think?) sections to get students thinking.
– Collaborative projects offer an opportunity to use new language.
Helps every student succeed
Every-ability solutions help cater to all studentsâ€™ linguistic and cognitive strengths. Extension activities provide reinforcement or extra challenge as needed, to keep every student motivated.
Enjoy the flexibility to choose the right level for your class with a six level, CEFF-mapped course.
– Â Studentâ€™s App: on-the-go practice and gamified activities to motivate learning.
– Teacherâ€™s App: a range of tools including the Classroom Presentation Kit for motivating lessons.
Alignment with the LOMLOE
At Macmillan we have accompanied teachers through several educational reforms, and the changes brought in with the LOMLOE will be no exception. As experts in education and leaders in investigation and innovation, we constantly strive to be by your side with the materials you need.
Ready for any scenario
The ways in which we teach and learn are continually evolving, making not just what we teach but how we teach more important than ever. In class, at home, or mixed modality, Macmillan can provide you with the 360Âº print, digital and service to meet your teaching needs.
Flexible learning solutions
Get the most out of your course with material that fits any teaching or learning scenario.
- Classic print books with eye-catching design.
- Studentâ€™s eBook – your classic coursebook experience – in an intuitive projectable format with audio and video..
- Interactive Digital Studentâ€™s Books and Digital Workbooks providing a rich, customisable learning experience.
- Studentâ€™s App with extra gamified self-study practice to engage teens.
- Online-offline Teacherâ€™s App:
– Classroom Presentation Kit
– Test Generator
– Gamified practice with homework setting function + automatic marking and tracking
- Extra resources with Macmillan Advantage.
First rate technical support
- Digital welcome pack with quick-start online training + intuitive tutorial videos to get started with your new digital materials.
- Support for multiple operating systems and devices.
- Fast and friendly customer service via our free digital support phone-line with callback service + our FAQs website.
The Macmillan Promise
To help you teach confidently in any scenario, we provide ongoing professional development webinars, instructional videos and blogs on our website and via Macmillan Advantage.
- Online expert training in a wide range of teaching skills.
- Rapid access to customised digital solutions for remote teaching.
- Access to additional resources for use in class.
How Your InfluenceÂ helps you create an inclusive learning environment
We know each learner has different strengths and weaknesses, and learns best in different ways. In order to build on individual capabilities, helping students to learn and teachers to create an inclusive learning environment, each of our courses provides a range of components and methodology that helps you to meet the needs of everyone in your classroom.
Every-ability features support different learner types and encourage all students to succeed. A variety of approaches in the Studentâ€™s Book and Workbook support differentiated learning:
- Brain Teaser puzzles based on target grammar include visual clues, mental arithmetic and logic and are designed to allow students to show their natural talents in the classroom.
- Peer review sections can be used to pair stronger and weaker students to encourage individual and collaborative development.
- Projects in each unit provide an opportunity for collaborative work in which each student can show their individual strengths.
- Graphic organiser summaries of the projects encourage students to work in different ways, helping them to identify their individual learning style.
- The videos have optional subtitles for extra support for lower-level students whilst viewing.
- Influence also offers differentiated materials to ensure that students of all abilities receive the necessary level of challenge and support. These include
- The Grammar Bootcamp pages in the Studentâ€™s Book are designed to reinforce or extend learning, providing additional grammar practice at two different levels of difficulty.
- A star-rating system in the Workbook indicating the level of difficulty enables teachers to set suitable tasks according to the language level of each individual student and students to monitor their progress.
Differentiated materials and additional or alternative activities are available in the Teacherâ€™s Resource Centre to allow teachers to adjust the level of challenge and support. These include:
- Vocabulary and Grammar practice worksheets provide grammar revision at three levels of difficulty.
- Unit, end-of-term and end-of-year progress tests offer grammar, vocabulary and skills revision at two levels.
- Basics Reading and Writing worksheets help students with a lower level to consolidate reading and writing skills.
- Accessible Reading Worksheets (creates specifically for Special Educational Needs) display each unitâ€™s main reading text from the Studentâ€™s Book in a more accessible format.
- The Longer Read reading texts and exercises expand on the Studentâ€™s Book reading topics and offer practice of reading longer texts, further exposure to the reading subskills, more vocabulary in context and an extra level of challenge.
- Translated Wordlists, a Translated Grammar Reference and Critical thinking activities are structured from Lower Order Thinking Skills (LOTS) (remembering, understanding, applying) to Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (creating, evaluating, analysing).
- Studentâ€™s App with on-the-go practice allows students to work autonomously to reinforce the content covered in class at their own pace.
WHOLE CLASS ENGAGEMENT
Influence includes a range of content for ensuring all students are involved and engaged in a group work and whole class activities:
The timed, competitive aspect of Kahoot quizzes motivate students, while allowing them to work out the answer autonomously and at their own pace.
- Brain Teaser puzzles allow students to show their natural talents in the language classroom by incorporating tasks that require different ways of thinking.
- Projects offer the opportunity for students to work at their own pace within mixed-level language groups.
Peer review, pair and group work tasks appear throughout the Studentâ€™s Book so students can work together in mixed- or same-level pairs and groups.
The Teacherâ€™s Book includes a range of tips and activities for incorporating all students and manage the class with confidence and the Teacherâ€™s App provides a range of differentiated and adaptable materials.
- Communication games in the Activities bank in the Teacherâ€™s Book provide teachers with fun resources to get their students practising grammar.
- Mixed-ability specific tips are offered in the Teacherâ€™s Book by way of reinforcement and challenge features and extra activities.
- Fast finisher activities in the Teacherâ€™s Book provide extra activities teachers can use to occupy higher-level fast-finishing students.
- The Test Generator allows teachers to custom-build their own tests according to their studentsâ€™ needs, or choose a pre-made test at two levels.
- The Teacherâ€™s App allows teachers to assign homework tasks to the whole class or to individual students according to their needs with push notifications.
- Teachers can monitor each studentâ€™s progress through the Teacherâ€™s App.
Want some additional practical tips and ideas on how to create an inclusive learning environment? Visit our Ãšnicos page, where a range of experts share their experience and offer practical advice.
COMPONENTS FOR TEACHERS
Download sample material from Influence and try it for yourself. Weâ€™re confident you will love what you find!
Have a look at a unit of Your Influence to see how it can improve your classes.
Additional resources to supplement your coursebook: videos, audio files, flashcards, worksheetsâ€¦ giving you endless options for adapting your classes to you and your studentsâ€™ needs.
A wealth of articles, videos, tips and practical classroom activities to give your classes that personal touch. Click below to see a sample of some of the tools you will have access to.
And much more…
Exclusive tools and resources to make the most of your classes and give you the support you need.